Sunday, November 14, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie Funeral

Photo Courtesy of Centerville Pies
For those of you who read my post on the mail-order chicken pot pie, I have an update and it isn't a good one.  After arriving nearly one week late (and with a cracked top), I chose to test it out during a Sunday family dinner with my cousins.

The directions recommended 1 1/2 hours of baking, but the pie was still not done after almost 2 hours in the oven.  The top was soggy and the filling almost watery.  Not to mention the nutritional info - one serving of the pie has a day's worth of sodium and so does ONE serving of the gravy!  Salt city.  If I'm knowingly choosing to bloat my body to oblivion, then I better love the dish.  

To be fair, the Centerville pie ladies were inundated with orders after Oprah waved her magic wand and gave this pie her seal of approval.  Harry & David, who offered the pie in their catalogue of food items, is a gourmet gift institution and certainly, cannot be judged solely on this one late delivery.  Besides, their fruit baskets are always delicious.

Deep down I knew this pie wouldn't be for me, but what can I say, it was the Oprah effect =)

No comments:

Post a Comment