Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fall Wines

I'm a wine lover.  Nine times out of ten, it's what accompanies dinner.  For the most part, I choose based on season vs. entree.  Spring and Summer are for white varietals, typically a Sauvignon Blanc or Sancerre while Fall and Winter are for Pinot Noir and Shiraz.  I'm always on the hunt for a drinkable, well-balanced wine with a good value.  I try to stay within a $12-$20 range for most bottles making the occasional splurge for special occasions.  I also try to maintain a healthy selection at home in case I have spontaneous visitors, although, the other day when I purchased 7 bottles, the checkout man looked at me with a raised eyebrow.  To me, wine is like olive oil - you can never have enough on hand =)

Below are 2 favorites for Fall & Winter.

Pinot Noir
Vintjs Pinot Noir is from the Willamette Valley in Oregon and is made by Joe Dobbes, an Oregon winemaker for the last 20 years.  This wine is medium-bodied with notes of cherry, spearmint and blackberry.  Hints of blueberry also line the palate.  The taste is mellow and rich and finishes with dark plum.  I always have at least 2 bottles on hand.

Shiraz 
Layer Cake Shiraz is from South Australia which is one of the top shiraz-growing regions globally.  Specifically from the McLaren Vale region, an area whose microclimates are known for producing complexity, this Shiraz is full, creamy and offers notes of dark chocolate, mocha and licorice.  The mid-palate is spicy and the finish is long.  It feels decadent, just like a layer cake =)

1 comment:

  1. When we were in northern CA this summer we found an amazing Pinot Noir called "Poppy". It was sooo balanced and drinkable. Unfortunately, we can't find it anywhere here! If you have a good wine store...ask about it.

    ReplyDelete