Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chicken Casserole - Not Pie


For those of you anxiously awaiting my follow-up to the chicken pot pie, you'll have to wait another day because the pie was a no show.  A girl still needs to eat though so I decided to stay with the theme of chicken and the category of comfort.

My mom used to make a modified version of this dish in the winter when I was growing up.  She would serve over rice and with a red leaf lettuce salad.  I can still taste the memories when I make it for myself.

I like to roast my own chicken to avoid added sodium, but you could buy a pre-roasted chicken if you're in a hurry. 

Ingredients
3 cups chopped cooked chicken     1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups celery slices          1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese     dash of pepper
3 tablespoons chopped onion       mayonnaise
tomato slices
  1. To roast chicken on your own, generously rub 2 chicken breasts skin-on, bone-in with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roasting with the skin-on and bone-in will ensure maximum flavor.  Place chicken on a cookie sheet skin side-up and roast for 35-40 minutes.
  2. Once chicken has cooled (let sit for 20-25 minutes), remove skin and pull meat from bone.  
  3. Combine chicken, celery, 1/2 cup cheese, onion, lemon juice, seasonings and enough mayo to moisten; mix lightly.  Don't skimp on the lemon juice.  It adds a freshness and helps balance the heaviness of the cheese and mayonnaise.
  4. Spoon into 1 qt casserole dish and top with tomato slices.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Top with remaining cheese and continue baking until cheese is melted.  Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment