Friday, October 15, 2010

A Perfect French Cookie

My first macaron (not to be confused with the American macaroon) memory is at Laduree, the famed Parisienne tea salon.  I was studying abroad, and my mom was visiting me for a ten day holiday which we chose to spend in the City of Lights.  It was one afternoon following a four-hour Louvre visit that we went for tea and macarons at Laduree Royale.  I chose vanilla and pistachio and my mom, chocolate.  I was mute for at least ten minutes trying to grasp how something so small could be so life-changing.  And life changing, it was.  It was THE perfect French cookie.  So perfect, we purchased a beautiful box for my grandmother (Mimi) with a dozen of the most breathtaking macarons you have ever seen.  But the box never made it home and Mimi never opened her gift.  Why?  Because my mom and I ate them.  We ate the gift!  Admittedly, not our finest hour.  But that tells you just how delightful these mini meringue pies were!

The October 2010 issue of Elle Decor features a straightforward recipe for making the beloved French cookies that are almost more beautiful to look at than eat! Almost...

No comments:

Post a Comment