Tuesday, October 12, 2010

From a Midwest Farm to a Downtown Table - Province!




Recently, I've had a number of out-of-towners ask me for recommendations on where they should have dinner while in Chicago.  Admittedly, this is a tricky question for me because I feel a profound amount of pressure to make sure the recommendation is not only fitting to the specific palate of my friend but also because this recommendation is a direct reflection on yours truly!  Deciding on a list of restaurant options for someone is an art and I'd like to think it's one I've (nearly) mastered.  

Province, my standby restaurant of late, is always at the top of my go-to list and deserves a shout out for its gold level LEED certification and farm-to-table cuisine.  Executive Chef and Owner Randy Zweiban is a native New Yorker who has created a multi-layered American menu with Spanish textures in his second Chicago restaurant venture, after Nacional 27.
The menu transitions seasonally and currently reflects the flavors and colors of Fall.  I've included my current "must-tries" below! 


soups/salads
Kilgus Farms Romaine Caesar Salad with spiced croutes, chile-spiked Caesar dressing
small
Melted Goat Cheese Fondue with oven dried tomatoes, herbed crisps
bigger
Rare Hawaiian Tuna with green city market vegetables, romesco, caper vinaigrette
Mojo-Honey Glazed "Brick" Half Chicken with sweet potato-squash hash, black bean sauce 
dessert
Mick Klug Farms Bartlet Pear Tartlet with vanilla bean ice cream, pear syrup drizzle
 
Photos taken by Laurie Proffitt

No comments:

Post a Comment